Thursday, October 21, 2010

Building the Body Quarterly Magazine

Finished putting together the Autumn 2010 issue of Building the Body Quarterly and sent it to the printer yesterday.  The cover was taken 2 weeks before the 1982 London Mr. Olympia by Artie Zeller in Palm Springs -- I weighed 205 in the photo. This issue features both outside and inside covers in full color along with some interesting details about two Mr. Olympia competitions 30 years apart.  There has been lots written about the 1980 Mr. Olympia contest and most of it is fabrication.  Here's my take on it, what actually happened in my eyes and experience.  I'm onstage 30 years later for the Mr. O in Las Vegas but not in posing trunks.  All the Mr. Olympias were honored, it was the 45th anniversary of the Mr. O along with Joe Weider's 90th birthday party.  There are articles about 'Should You Deadlift', 'How Christine and I are training 5 days a week on a two way split routine', Success stories of two Zane Experience clients, 'How feeling higher emotions will help you attain your goals', How to get in contest shape by eating less empty calorie foods and create more nutrient density with free form amino acids and my Egg White and XYZ proteins.  In a few weeks a full table of contents will be published on http://www.frankzane.com/ , watch for it.
More later,
FZ

8 Comments:

At October 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM , Blogger drtysthrnheathen said...

I have noticed that when I am training a muscle more than once a week (2 or 3 times), that my strength is alot greater than when I train each muscle once a week. It seems to me that if my strength is up, and the weight I'm moving is up, that my muscles should also continue to grow.

In your opinion would it be better to hit each muscle twice a week, or once a week? Any light that you can shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

 
At October 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM , Blogger Frank Zane said...

I've found it necessary to train less frequently but harder each workout to grow as one gets older. I like training three days out of five using a three way split detailed in my Workout Diaries: day 1 back biceps forearms, day 2 rest, day 3 legs, day 4 chest shoulders triceps, day 5 rest then repeat cycle. Abs are done each workout.

 
At October 23, 2010 at 6:05 AM , Blogger drtysthrnheathen said...

Thanks for your response! I will try and incorporate the 5 day cycle vs the 7 day the next time I change my workout.

 
At October 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM , Blogger John C said...

What is your opinion on using gloves and wrist straps when lifting?

 
At October 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am wondering how much strength and definition I would be able to maintain at my age-62, I have been participating in karate for many years. I have benched 525 weighing 260...but I was considerably younger......I am 75 inches tall.....I have had some abdominal surgery and need to recover....I have no particular restrictions in my training......I want to get into really good shape.....what are reasonable strength goals for incline bench, squats and pulldowns or rows.....I see your pictures of you past sixty and wonder if your appearance is a reasonable goal for me ?? How hard is it really for you to maintain the pictured level of definition........I am also very determined when needed....I presently weigh a somewhat soft 240 and am 6 wks off surgery.

 
At November 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Frank Zane said...

John: Using gloves or straps will help you get a better grip on the bar, minimimize callouses, and allow you to focus more on the muscles working other than those gripping the weight. Straps are especially useful with heavier weights.

mkregnes: At your age you should first heal completely from your surgery and then begin training with light to moderate weights, stretching a lot between sets. Forget the heavy weights -- instead make lighter weights feel heavier by doing slow negatives. Up your repetitions, do more abdominal work and aerobics and consider going on a lower carb diet as outlined my High Def Handbook. Keep training heavy and you run the risk of injury as you get older.

 
At November 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Zane
Thank you for your rapid response. I will try the slow negatives, they have never been part of my training in the past. I am used to stretching because of my karate training, I will maintain that activity. The low carb diet will be a pain but I will also try that long enough to see how it works for me, I do like pasta. Aerobics and I are learning how to cope with each other, I will give that more effort as you suggested, I purchased a bike yesterday.
CHEERS, Mike

 
At January 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM , Blogger yrrej said...

I enjoyed the Mr. Olympia 2010 article. Those guys are monstrous! Seems to be the trend, perhaps fed by movies like, "The Hulk". It's a shame in my opinion. I remember watching a really muscular Franco Columbu in the Super Stars competition years ago finish a distant last in the 100 yard dash. I'm not sure bigger is always better. Notice how a svelte Cain Velasquez finished off a huge Brock Lesnar. Everything needs balance I think. Size and strength should always be a plus, don't you think?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home